Hotel Solutions undertook a detailed analysis of Wiltshire’s hotel and visitor accommodation sector and its future development potential in 2014. The study was commissioned by the county’s destination management organisation, Visit Wiltshire, with funding support from the Wiltshire and Swindon Local Enterprise Partnership (LEP). It involved an in depth analysis of the county’s hotel and visitor accommodation supply; current performance and market demand; national trends; the competitive environment; the potential for future growth in demand; and hotel and visitor accommodation developer interest in the county.
The study showed significant potential for hotel and visitor accommodation development across Wiltshire, including opportunities for:
- Additional luxury country house hotels;
- Further golf hotels and resorts;
- Boutique hotel development in Salisbury, Bradford-on-Avon, Corsham, Malmesbury, Marlborough and Devizes;
- Additional budget hotel provision in Swindon, Salisbury, Amesbury and Chippenham;
- An aparthotel in Swindon town centre;
- Boutique inns;
- Restaurants with rooms;
- Further high quality self-catering holiday cottages;
- Holiday lodge and eco lodge parks;
- Glamping developments;
- Camping pods;
- Hostel accommodation in Salisbury.
The report concludes with a five-year Action Plan that aims to create an additional 2,000 jobs in Wiltshire’s hotel and visitor accommodation sector by 2020. It includes actions related to identifying sites and properties for hotel development and larger scale accommodation schemes; a clear strategy for hotel investment in Swindon; the development of pub accommodation and glamping; and business support and training programmes for accommodation operators. As a result of the study VisitWiltshire has identified expressions of interest from 24 potential accommodation developers and investors and is now pursuing leads for new serviced apartments, glamping products, holiday lodge parks, a children’s activity holiday centre, quality pub accommodation, and country house hotels.